Meaningful Hummingbird Tattoo Designs
Tattoo art works on the principal of using attractive and vibrant designs, which solve the purpose of having a tattoo inked, and that is to grab attention. For this purpose, tattoo artists have been making use of a variety of design elements from nature as well as their imagination, since the beginning of this art form. One of the widely used designs from nature is the bird design, which can include birds like phoenix, swallow, eagle, sparrow and the dainty looking hummingbird. Hummingbird tattoos are loved by tattoo enthusiast because they have a very special quality, which blends beauty with symbolism. These delicate looking birds have something very alluring about them, besides having special meanings defined in different cultures. Both these factors play a key role in making the this art a popular one among men and women around the world.
As far as bird tattoos are concerned, hummingbird art is surely one of those extremely beautiful and meaningful ones. Are you aware of this fact? If yes, then good for you specially if you are a tattoo lover. But if you are not aware of it, now you know at least. Hummingbird is actually a kind of bird specie that belongs to the family of Trochilidae. It is one of those tiniest bird species the world has to offer. In terms of body measurement, it can only reach a maximum body length of 7.5 up to 13 centimeters. It may be very small in size, but its meaning and splendor are big enough when it is used as a subject for tattooing.
Hummingbird Tattoos Meanings And Symbolism
As said, a hummingbird art is very meaningful. Its meanings will always differ on its entire design that the wearer will choose. If you are thinking of having this tattoo, then you should know its different meanings and symbolism. Here are some of them:
- Love – Almost all kinds of bird tattoos are great symbolisms of love, and you know it for sure. This does not exempt those hummingbirds that are freely flying in the sky. The common believers of this meaning were those ancient Aztec and Native American people. To them, this tattoo also symbolized attraction. In fact, these people in the past used to wear a dead hummingbird on their neck, which was tied in a pouch. This served as their talisman, which they believed helped them in attracting the opposite sexes.
- Reverence – Another thing they symbolize is reverence. Such bird is known to be sacred for Jamaican people and in the entire Caribbean culture in general. This is known to be the national bird of the beautiful country of Jamaica. Furthermore, Caribbean arts and culture would be incomplete without the presence of a hummingbird. This is the main reason why a lot of people in the Caribbean choose to have this art.
- Survival – A hummingbird is known for its great survival skills. It can easily adapt to the new environment that it is facing. Because of this, such bird is not afraid to fly anywhere they want to. Even during tough situations, this bird is sure enough to survive. Isn’t that an admirable quality of a small creature on earth? Hence, if you want to tell the world that you are a person who can easily adapt in any environment and situation that you are facing, then a hummingbird art is more than enough for you.
- Hope – They also mean hope. The explanation for this is that hummingbirds fly anywhere they want, even as far as 2000 miles. While they are flying, they meet a number of difficult circumstances that may risk their own lives, but they always end up victorious. Putting it in the real life situations of then entire human race, it implies that there are always hopes that lie behind every hardship that you might be facing.
Famous Personalities Displaying Hummingbird Art
These days, it is no longer surprising to see some famous personalities in the world who are proudly displaying their body tattoos. One of those common tattoos these personalities are wearing is a hummingbird art tattoo. Here are some names of these popular people who look great on their hummingbird art:
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley – Rosie Alice Huntington-Whiteley is a 29-year-old British actress and model. As the nature of her work, she needs to be very unique and gorgeous as a person. One thing that made her very beautiful is her hummingbird art that is located on her left wrist.
- Sarah Hyland – Sarah Jane Hyland is a 25-year-old American actress, who wears a beautiful hummingbird designed tattoo located behind her right ear. She got this tattoo way back on November 2014.
- Raychel Diane Weiner – Another celebrity who wears a hummingbird designed tattoo is the ever gorgeous American actress, Raychel Diane Weiner. Her tattoo is very colorful that is located on her left hip. The image of a colorful hummingbird is accompanied with a beautiful and colorful hibiscus and a rose flower.
Beautiful Tattoo Design For Hummingbird Art
It is rest assured that the various tattoo designs for a hummingbird can serve their purpose on your body. They can make you look very unique and beautiful in the eyes of many people. These can also tell some stories about you to the other folks through their meanings and symbolisms. Here are some of the beautiful designs that you can engrave on your body:
- Tribal Hummingbird Design – This is among those very common design, but it will surely give justice to your own purpose of wearing such tattoo. Of course, such design will include several tribal patterns that will make the entire tattoo design very artistic and beautiful.
- Flying Hummingbird Design – Since hummingbird is a kind of bird, it is definitely not surprising for it to fly. Hence, why not have a design that showcases the usual thing it does on its entire life – flying. However, some sub designs must be added so that the illusion of a flying hummingbird on your body can be achieved.
- Lone Hummingbird Design – The truth is, the image of a hummingbird alone is enough to make you even more gorgeous in appearance, and it is already a very meaning tattoo design. This design would not involve other designs apart from a hummingbird. The secret here is how your hired professional tattoo artist draw the hummingbird image. Your color choices will also make a big difference in this particular design.
Hummingbird is a unique creation of nature because the bird has the ability to hover in air by flapping its wings rapidly, a quality which adds mysticism to its very existence. They can fly in any direction and is full of energy, which has to be fueled by eating frequently, as many as 50 times during the day. This is the reason why many cultures such as the Aztecs and Native Americans consider the hummingbird as a mysterious symbol and makes use of this quality in their folklore and legend. Also, the bird is revered for its graceful and alluring look, which makes it far more superior than any other species of birds. Besides its amazing colors and hues, what fascinates humans about the hummingbird is its mysticism and symbolic meaning. Here are some interpretations regarding the symbolic significance of hummingbird art tattoos:
- Native American and Aztec cultures – In Native American and Aztec cultures Hummingbird is regarded as a symbol of love and attraction in Native American and Aztec cultures. In ancient times, a dead hummingbird was tied in a pouch by Aztecs and worn around their necks, which they believed gave them the power to attract the opposite sex. These talismans were known to harbinger sexual prowess and great energy for the wearer.
- National Bird of Jamaica – Hummingbird is the national bird of Jamaica and occupies a place of reverence in the culture of this part of the world. Also referred to as the Lovebird, this charming bird plays an important role in the art and culture of the Caribbean, including all the important rituals and traditional ceremonies.
- Symbol Of Love and much more – Besides its amazing looks, the bird is held in high esteem because of its survival skills and ability to adapt itself to fly in all possible direction. Therefore, the hummingbird tattoo can used to represent love, attraction and also ability to survive in the toughest of situations.
- Nectar of Life – Hummingbirds have had an eternal association with flowers because they suck the nectar from them with the help of their long bill. This is the reason why the hummingbird art is sometimes used to signify Nectar of Life, bringing eternal peace, joy and love in the life of the bearer.
- Messengers – Since hummingbird is a migratory species with the ability to cover distances as vast as 2000 miles, they are regarded as messengers. They are all about hope and survival, facing adversities and challenges and yet coming out strong and victorious. Their tireless flights also prove that hummingbirds are very industrious in nature and do not give up till the task is done.
- Dream chaser – In symbolic sense, these alluring little birds fly long distances in search of beauty and happiness and as a labor for fulfillment of dreams. Similarly, hummingbird tattoos seem to inspire the bearer constantly about not giving up and chasing their dreams, no matter how far they have to go for fulfillment of their aspirations. They also flutter their wings rapidly, moving in a shape which represents infinity symbol. This associates hummingbirds with eternity.
Being a bird of great mysticism and symbolic significance has made hummingbird earn a place of importance in tattoo art since its origin. Additionally, the charm and grace of this bird reinforces its position in this regard. You might want to check our collections of design such dreamcatchers, feathers, anchors, arrows, compass, geometric, heart, infinity, trees, fish, lion, dragon, wolf or elephant for tattoo ideas.
Like all other tattoos, the most important aspect of this art is its placement as it needs to be inked in such a manner that its placement adds more charm to the design and makes it highly attractive. The placement depends mainly upon the size of the tattoo, the larger one befitting wider surface area and vice versa. Larger and more detailed tattoos can be inked on sleeve, back, chest, shoulder, spine, legs, hip, thigh, stomach, rib, while smaller ones look good on ankles, wrists, back of the neck, ear and even as finger tattoos. Wherever the tattoo is inked on the body, it is guaranteed to be a source of attraction, because it has a very alluring and fascinating quality.
Creative tattoo artists around the world are working constantly on hummingbird designs, with the purpose of making the most of the beauty of the bird and creating some unique and eye catching designs. The most popular design options while creating such tattoos are traditional, watercolor and realistic style designs. 3D hummingbird arts may be another option for those looking for something absolutely stunning. The use of bright colors is preferred to highlight the grace and beauty of these tattoos, though some tattoos can also be seen in simple black and grey outlines. In most of the designs, hummingbirds may be seen hovering around colorful flowers as it is second nature to them and there is a mutual relationship between these birds and flowers, which benefit them both in many ways. Would you like to check our collection of White Ink tattoos?
Hummingbird art tattoos have always been loved by women because of their delicate and feminine attributes, but gradually the design is gaining popularity among men too. The credit of the ever increasing attraction of this design goes to the fact that the bird stands for deeper beliefs, rather than aesthetic beauty only. They can really make the time, money and effort put in having a tattoo inked, worthwhile for the bearer. You might want to check our collection of Mother & Daughter tattoos, Best Friend tattoos, Sister tattoos.
Due to their cute size, you can ink a tattoo on your back, chest, neck, wrist or behind your ear. They are suitable for both sexes. If you need larger tattoo design, you can opt on your shoulder, back, thigh, hip, the side or the arm. And if you need a smaller size you can consider your wrist, fingers, and the back of your neck or the ankle.
A hummingbird is definitely a beautiful tiny creature that is freely flying on its own. It symbolizes a lot of things, which is the main reason why it is widely used as a subject for tattooing. Aside from the fact that it can create a very meaningful hummingbird tattoo, it is also assured that it will look great on the wearer’s body, regardless of its body placement.
Hummingbirds make a great choice for tattoo designs because there fascinating birds have great qualities, whether it is about physical charm or deeper symbolic meaning. These alluring birds come in vibrant colors and are considered as symbols of love, peace, happiness and prosperity. They also signify hope and efforts to fulfill one’s dream. This makes hummingbird art tattoos a source of beauty as well as inspiration, which accounts for their popularity in contemporary tattoo art.