Sun and Moon Tattoo Designs
Sun and moon tattoo design is one of the classic tattoo designs preferred by both men and women. The sun and the moon are like the yin and yang of the heavens. It reflects the beauty and balance between these two opposing divine forces. This symbolic design allows the bearer to shine by accepting the good and the bad in them and letting these two coexist without any bias. Aside from this, the sun and the moon are also popular for their significant roles in various rituals, traditions, cultures and beliefs, making this symbol a primary tattoo design for those who are into mysticism.
Types of Sun and Moon Tattoo
There are different types of the sun and moon tattoo. Some of these designs are inspired by the beliefs and myths of certain regions and countries, while others are concepts that were developed to match the modern times and the current representation of these symbols. If you are looking for an inspiration to get you started with your sun and moon tattoo, then you might want to check this out;
- Mexican Sun and Moon Tattoo
The Mexican sun and moon tattoo can be easily distinguished from other designs. It looks like the crescent moon cradling the sun. This is a popular choice for many people who want to combine the culture rich Mexican sun and moon into a single tattoo concept. In some cases, additional background details such as stars, clouds and colors are added to the tattoo to suit the preference of the bearer. The outcome of this design simultaneously showcases the life and death cycle based on Mexican culture, with the sun representing life and the moon representing death.
- Tribal Sun and Moon Tattoo
Tribal sun and moon design is another top tattoo concept preferred by people who are into mysticism. Like most tribal tattoo, this design is executed using black ink alone, making it a suitable design for both men and women. The beauty of this tattoo lies in the patterns used to carefully shape or fill out the surface of the sun and the moon. This type of tattoo makes an ideal standalone design. Whether you include a background or not the sun and the moon combined already makes a great masterpiece.
- Kissing Sun and Moon Tattoo
A kissing sun and moon tattoo is also known as lovers, which is also probably why it is popular among the hopeless romantic. In this design, the sun represents masculinity while the moon represents femininity. These two powerful representatives meet in the middle to strike a balance and coexist harmoniously.
Meaning of Sun and Moon Tattoo Design
The sun and moon tattoo can mean different things to different culture and beliefs, but it is generally regarded as a representation of the two opposing powers. Whether it’s life and death, femininity and masculinity, night and day, good and bad, yin and yang, the sun and moon design mirrors them all.
Combining the sun and the moon into a single concept symbolizes the ability of the bearer to treat these opposing worlds equally. It is a symbol of acceptance of one’s good and bad traits, strengths and weaknesses, good luck and bad luck and finding peace along the process.
To sum it up, the sun and the moon tattoo design generally represent balance between two forces. However, its meaning is not limited to this general idea. The true meaning of a tattoo will always depend on how the bearer sees this symbol.
Ideal Placement of Sun and Moon Tattoo Design
Your sun and moon design determines the best placement of your tattoo. This type of tattoo doesn’t usually need a large space to execute, unless you prefer to use a bigger elaborate piece or include a detailed background to go with your primary design.
The most popular placement for this tattoo are arms, legs, wrist and back. These areas provide enough space to execute a sun and moon tattoo design. When choosing from these areas remember to consider your endurance to pain. Some areas of the arms and legs can be more painful compared to others. Ask for suggestions from your tattoo artist, since they have a lot of experience in this area.
Consulting your artist in conceptualizing your design should also come in handy, especially if you already have a target placement area for your tattoo. A good tattoo artist can give you useful tips that can help improve and customize your design to make it more suitable for your target location.
Sun and Moon Tattoo Preparation Tips
- One of the primary preparations that you need to work on before the day of your tattoo session is your design or your sun and moon tattoo concept. Finalizing or deciding on the concept of your tattoo before you go to your artist can save a lot of time. This can also help speed up the communication process between you and your artist.
- Find a reputable tattoo studio or tattoo artist in your area. The ideal scenario is to find a tattoo studio that is accessible to your place, especially if your tattoo design requires multiple sessions to complete. This will make it easier for you to come back and forth to the studio.
- Prepare your budget. Do your homework and find out how much your target sun and moon tattoo design may cost you. Once you get started with your tattoo you must be able to see it through, so make sure you have sufficient fund to cover the cost of all your tattoo sessions.
- Always come mentally and physically prepared for the day of your tattoo session. Mental preparedness means that you are ready and determined to endure the hours of painful and boring tattoo session. Physical preparedness on the other hand, includes having enough sleep and having a decent meal before you go to the studio. You can only have short breaks during the tattoo session, which is just enough for you to drink water or have a few crackers so might as well get your fill while you have the chance.
- Inform your artist of any pre-existing medical condition prior to your scheduled tattoo session. This way your artist knows what to do in case something goes wrong while you are at their studio.
- Refrain from applying peeling or tanning products on the area where you wish to get a tattoo. These chemicals can ruin or hinder the tattoo ink from fully penetrating on your skin, which can impair the outcome of your tattoo. Properly hydrated skin from drinking enough liquid and having enough sleep makes an ideal canvass for a tattoo.
Average Service Cost and Standard Price for Sun and Moon Tattoo
The average cost and standard charges for a sun and moon tattoo vary depending on the tattoo studio, tattoo artist, complexity of the tattoo, detail of colors and size of the tattoo. These factors are combined to determine the amount that you have to pay for your tattoo.
There are two ways a tattoo shop charges its client; one is per hour and the other is per piece. Based on the executive office director of the Alliance of Professional Tattooists, Bill Johnson an established tattoo artist charges between $75 to $150 per hour for a medium size tattoo. A tattoo artist or tattoo shop tends to charge a higher hourly rate for bigger and more complex designs.
A tattoo artist may also set the price for your entire piece if you walk in with a predetermined design. Using their experience and expertise, a tattoo artist can immediately make an accurate estimate of the amount of work it will take to complete your design. A tattoo parlor usually asks between $50 to $100 deposit before they take you as their client.
Note that although it’s a general rule that expert tattoo artists or well-established tattoo parlor costs more, this is not always the case. More often than not, it’s the location where you’re getting your tattoo that affects the pricing of the artist and the parlors. This is why it is best to look around and check your options before you decide where to get your tattoo.
Maintenance Tips After Getting Sun and Moon Tattoo
You have to understand that although your tattoo is meant to last forever, it’s still subject to common wear and tear. The colors of your sun and moon tattoo may soon fade and the details, line and texture may begin to blur. This is the reason why applying proper maintenance and care after you have your tattoo is essential.
- After getting your tattoo, be sure to follow all the aftercare instructions provided by your tattooist. This includes proper washing and safe healing methods for your tattoo. You have to have a successful healing process so you don’t damage the design of your tattoo.
- Keep your tattoo looking vibrant longer by taking care of your skin. Your tattoo will inevitably fade through time. The goal is to keep it beautiful for a longer period of time, so you don’t have to get touched up sooner than necessary. The best way to do this is to keep your skin healthy. This includes sunblock, moisturizer and proper hydration.
- Whatever harms your skin can harm your tattoo. Keeping yourself protected from harmful external elements like insect bites, allergens and sharp objects are a part of proper tattoo maintenance. These external factors can destroy your tattoo in an instant, which is why you have to make sure to use insect repellent, take antihistamines and wear protective gears whenever necessary.
The details above are just some of the basic things you have to know before you decide to get your first sun and moon tattoo.